Re: The Grandma Test (was: I hate Linux)

On 30 Jan 2004, john doe wrote:
> I agree to some extent, its certainly not ready for grandma's
> desktop [...] I do think that we are definately getting closer
> though, and im told that some of the more commercial distros
> are really close to that.

Timely that this remark should be posted.

I did a recent takalookaround install of Fedora on another HD.
*Not* a commercial distro.

My evaluation was this was a Linux distro I could guiltlessly
relabel "Windows Rescue Discs" to give to my retired neighbor
next time they ask me for help with their computer.

Not uniquely, my retired neighbor describes their computer use
as "I play solitaire and get on the net sometimes."  In other
words, they don't venture beyond software bundled with Windows.

Insofar as that's the vaunted *Grandma Test*, Fedora CAN KICK
WINDOWS' ASS UP AND DOWN THE BLOCK.  Its solitaire game could
do it by itself, but there's two dozen others on the taskbar.
And get on the net "sometimes?"  I can understand limiting it
thusly, dealing with Internet Exploder and this week's Viral
Basic attachment.  Those problems are fixed in a hurry.

We oughta start doing advocacy at senior citizen's centers.