Re: Credit card processing vendors, recomendations.

At 10:43 AM 1/23/2004, you wrote:

>Also I do shows and farmes markets, so I will need some kind of POS system in
>the future (although if the cost is too much I may just take a laptop and do
>batch processing after the show, taking the chance of eating any bad cards,
>may cost less than the POS terminals I've seen.  Or maybe use it as an
>internet terminal if I could get wireless coverage??).

Get a normal merchant account for your show work, .. you *should* be able
to come up with a merchant account for about $10/month (some of our clients
use NOVA, which charges a $9.75 monthly statement fee). Be prepared,
however, .. that $10/month is always there, hitting your bank account.

Tips:

1) Setup a business account ASAP, so it will have been in existance for a
time. Make sure it's in the correct name of the Merchant Account.

2) You DO have a storefront (somewhere, somehow, even if it's shared
space). You WILL need a physical address to use on the account (PO Boxes
are OK for mail).

3) Add on 'online' processing options after the fact - a lot of these are
high-risk CC charges, you do not want to be lumped in with them when you
open the account.

4) Shop around for a used wireless terminal or workout the config with your
PC and a cell phone. You might also consider a plain jane VeriFone terminal
(pretty cheap, used).

         Lee