Re: apt-ing to fc1 from rh9

> im trying to apt-get dist-upgrade from rh9 to fc1.
>
> i followed the directions on the wiki page

I didn't get that far. Hit python and gnupg dependencies.

Looks like RedHat just can't escape RPM hell, no matter what they call it.

> file /usr/share/man/man3/CGI.3pm.gz from install of perl-5.8.1-92
> conflicts with file from package perl-CGI-2.81-88.3

> i thought about uninstalling perl-CGI-2.81... but mysql lists it as a
> dependency.  mysql is a dependency for a whole crapload of other packages.

You can have a look at trying to understand pinning and set up your choices in
/etc/apt/preferences. That said, I could barely grok pinning Xandros to Sarge. I
tried getting my head around apt preferences but it's like grabbing jello, and
gave me a headache. I got enough of it to do what I wanted and stopped.

You could try to tell it to downgrade the perl-5.8.1-<mumble> to the lowest
thing that doesn't conflict with the perl-CGI package. What version is that, you
ask? I have no idea. Sorry.

What that "smells" like is that you want to pin perl-CGI to a 1002 priority, and
that should force perl to downgrade to a lower version that doesn't conflict.

But that may be wishing that RedHat/Fedora actually have their repository
working as smoothly as Debian does theirs. Not holding my breath, but fingers
are crossed.

I'm sure Jeff Liquia can jump in here at any time and give a more definitive setup.

And, yes, there is a force option to installing. Something like:

apt-get --fix-broken install ...
apt-get --force-yes install ...

Or combine them for fun and damaging sparkly effects... :=)

Mike/