DOS/vfat unerase

I deleted all the pictures on a 64M SmarMedia card, shall we say, a
little prematurely. Trying to "unerase" them, I first captured the image
to a disk file:

# dd if=/dev/hde1 of=smartmedia.image bs=2048

Then I used hexedit to change the "E5" first character of each photo
filename back to "50" (lower case 'p'). I saved the result and used dd
to write the image back to the SmartMedia card. When I mounted the card
again, only the top sliver of each photo was viewable. Interestingly
enough, when I ran 'ls -l /dev/flash/cmio/100olymp/*' all of the .jpg
files had the right names and filesizes.

Does anybody remember how to properly undelete DOS files? Other than
restore the first character of the filename, what else do I need to do?

--Doc