Re: M$ vs. the world (was Re: C# SIG - blah blah blah) --

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 21:02, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> FYI (side note), understand that C#.NET and the CLR _is_ Java --
> _direct_ code reuse.  Microsoft may no longer be able to use the Java(R)
> brand, but they _have_ licensed and paid for the source code.

Couple of articles on Mono from ComputerWorld, including Miguel
himself.  He too confirms the fact that C#.NET _is_ Java, and various
ways they've avoided legal issues in the product.  I mean, there are
larger legal issus than just Microsoft.

E.g., Microsoft has licensed Java and has the right to use its source
code, even if not under the Java trademark -- this was the court
ruling.  As such, Miguel & co. cannot just use anything from C#.NET,
even with Microsoft's blessing, because they have not licensed Java from
Sun.

Related article:

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/appdev/story/0,10801,87
620,00.html

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/apps/story/0,10801,8761
2,00.html

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org  http://thebs.org
CCDP LPIC-2 MasCIWA MCSE2K+Sec RHCE9 SCNA8 SCSecA9 +20 more certs