Re: BlueFish

Aaahhhh. At last. Something I know a little bit about.

Steve,

Bluefish is my current preferred linux html editor. It is the best
replacement for my windows side HTML Kit (available at chami.com). Both
are free....as in beer and speech.

But, there will be a bit of a learning curve if you aren't into
hand-coding html for web design/development. Neither are
wysiwyg....although both offer preview modes. Both cover the html
spectrum and throw in hearty helpings of code/support for javascript,
cascading style sheets, php, mysql, etc....everything you need to create
dynamic web sites. HTML Kit is the more robust but Chami has no plans
for a linux version...I asked.....no, I begged.

The basic procedure for both is to type in....or select from the
menus....the appropriate html tags, thrown in your content, and take a
look at the preview. You get to make all your mistakes in the comfort of
your preview pane without embarrassing yourself publicly.

But there's no wysiwyg...except for the preview pane....so you have to
have basic html experience to have any fun.

Wysiwig editors, such as macromedia's dreamweaver, are great, easy to
work with, and automatically write excellent code at the mere flick of a
few buttons but.....when you look at the source code.....it's so
excellent you can't tell what the hell's goin' on....much less fix
anything that didn't come out right.

So, take Bluefish for a twirl....you might like it.

Leon