Re: fc1 laptop sucesses, and failures

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 11:04:36PM -0800, Joe L. wrote:
> I was enticed by Steve P. to upgrade my laptop to FC1 at the last
> Silug meeting based pretty much on the hope of acpi working out of the
> box, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be that easy.

Did you add acpi=on to your kernel command line?  (Add it to the
"kernel" line in /boot/grub/grub.conf.)

> However as promised my wireless and my video card seem to be working
> perfectly. No more vesa for me!

Cool.  :-)

> I have read that I need to patch my kernel, or recompile it? I have
> heard about this but to tell you the truth it scares me to death.

I can't begin to imagine why you would need to mess with your kernel
at all.  Almost everything should be configurable while the kernel is
running, either through sysctl or modules.

Honestly, any reason you might have to recompile the kernel is
probably a bug.

> P.S. It would be nice to have a Kernal themed Silug meeting.

Maybe, but I would hate for people to get the idea that it is
something they should mess with.  :-)

(For reference, I've been compiling my own kernels for almost 10 years
now, but even I try *really* *really* hard to avoid it now.)