fc1 laptop sucesses, and failures

I was enticed by Steve P. to upgrade my laptop to FC1
at the last Silug meeting based pretty much on the
hope of acpi working out of the box, unfortunately it
doesn't seem to be that easy. However as promised my
wireless and my video card seem to be working
perfectly.  No more vesa for me!

I have read that I need to patch my kernel, or
recompile it? I have heard about this but to tell you
the truth it scares me to death.

I don't understand the application of a patch and what
effect it will have on the existing kernel?

Furthermore, are there any GUI compiling tools out
there that work well? I remember there were some nice
looking ones in older version?

So far Fedora seems to be running well and I am happy
with it. I followed the apt install instructions from
the kwicki site and so far so good.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Joe Lillig

P.S. It would be nice to have a Kernal themed Silug
meeting.

=====
P.S. Take a look at these other cool sights

http://otherpower.com power generation from homemade wind, hydro,solar,

http://www.journeytoforever.org

http://www.greenroofs.com/ sodd roofing big and small