Re: apt questions

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003, at 16:08 +0000, Brandon Joseph Adams wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:31:30AM -0600, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:11:25AM -0600, Koree A. Smith wrote:
> > > grip would work, I guess.  Wanting to convert files that are
> > > already mp3s, instead of re-ripping all of them off of the CDs.
> >
> > Yeah, but then you'd be taking a lossy compression and re-encoding
> > to another lossy compression.  The audio quality would probably
> > suck.
>
> It seems to me that for casual listening that the ogg files resulting
> from the process are okay. If you don't really mind (I don't) you can
> use

I suppose .. but if you already have a file encoded in MP3, why would
you want to encode it into Vorbis?

Even if you look at the legal issues, it's still illegal to distribute a
medium in a patented, nonfree format such as MPEG-3 that has been
converted into a patent and royalty-free format such as OGG/Vorbis. The
medium was still derived from a patented and protected format, even if
it lost quality or not... and I wouldn't be surprised if it were argued
in front of a court eventually.

--
scott c. linnenbringer    |   sl@panix.com
http://www.panix.com/~sl  |  sl@moslug.org