Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:02:33 -0500
From: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
To: debian-devel-announce@lists.debian.org
Subject: debian-installer beta 1

We are pleased to announce the first beta release of debian-installer,
the
new installation system for sarge. This first beta is for the following
architectures only:

  * i386.
  * PowerPC, with support for the subarchitectures Apple Newworld,
Pegasus
    PPC and IBM RS/6000 (PrEP, CHREP).

More architectures will follow in later betas.

There are still some problems and rough edges (see the TODO [1] if you
want
to help out), but in general, what we need most now is broad testing.
That
is why we want users to help us by testing this beta.

How to try out the beta:

  * Download one of the available CD or floppy images from the d-i
website,
    at http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
  * Read the debian-installer HOWTO [2] and install on whatever hardware
you
    can. All testing is valuable, but unusual hardware setups are of
course
    more likely to trigger unknown bugs. Also see the errata [3] for
known
    bugs and workarounds.
  * File an install report as a bug against the pseudo-package
    `installation-reports' in the BTS. Your install report should say
whether
    the install was successful or not, what problems you encountered
during
    the installation, etc.

If your installation was sucessful, there will be a template for install
reports in /root/install-report.template -- this template is also
available
on the web [4]. Please use this template when filing install reports.

Good luck with testing debian-installer!

For the debian-installer team,
Joey Hess

[1]
http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/doc/TODO?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup