Re: Sam's Red Hat 9.0

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 23:25, Celia wrote:
> Well I bought a Red Hat unleashed to switch over to Red Hat and it goes
> through the install untill it's ready to install the packages, then it
> states that I'm trying to install on a machine that isn't supported.
> It's a plain jane AOpen motherboard, AMD K6 400 Mhz. It will install on
> an old Dell and an old Gateway that I have but not this one. Any ideas why?

Celia,

Do you mean your mobo is not listed? Or expressly not supported. There's
a difference.

Do you mean to say it won't install on your K6 box? There are other
minimum quals besides CPU. Memory is one: 64M text, 128M graphic, 192M+
recommended. Video is another, but that's rarely a showstopper. If the
CD-ROM is one of those old ones with a non-standard interface (not IDE),
that could stop you in your tracks. Have you been able to install any
earlier versions of RH?

One thing about the old K6.  No matter how much RAM you have, its lack
of L1 cache makes it a slug. I bought my Dad an HP system with a
K6-2/300, and it drove me nuts trying to make it perform at all. When
dialed into AOL, its winmodem sucked enough CPU cycles to halt
everything else while pages loaded. Without L1 cache, it was in a
constant state of starvation. I eventually replaced that box with a one
of those $500 Walmart generics with an Athlon XP 1600+, which he loves.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL