Re: new user doesn't crash

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 10:07, Stephen D. Reindl wrote:
> Several short power failures within a week. Just long enough to cause a
> reboot while logged in as user steve.
>
> Afterward my X session would randomly lock up while logged in as steve.
> Eventually X would crash so severely the it would cause the machine to
> completely reboot.
>
> I made a new user, as a random attempt to troubleshoot, and have been
> logged in as that user for the past several days with no problems. It
> would appear that steve's config files are corrupted. The file system
> has had fsck run on it several times. There were never any backups made.
>
> 2 questions. Does anyone think that user is recoverable, and if not,
> what is the easiest way to convert the one user environment over to the
> other. Root is fine. I'm thinking I'll have to import each app, one at a
> time, especially my address book and sane setup.

Stephen,

As root you should be able to tar off whatever data and configuration
files you want to keep from /home/steve. Blow that directory away,
rename /home/newuser to /home/steve, and chown everything in that branch
to steve:steve.

You should now be able to log in as steve using what had been newuser's
stable home directory. Then as root, you could recover your saved stuff
from that tarball.

When that's all done, userdel will remove any remaining vestiges of
newuser.

Do you have an UPS to isolate your machine from power glitches?

--Doc