Re: Carbondale meeting monday

On 15 Oct 2003 17:00:14 -0500, jlawler <jlawler@siu.edu> wrote:

> I think a decent presentation of the differences in packaging formats,
> packaging systems and automated upgrades could be interesting.  Just
> my opinion...
>
> Jeremy

Just to invoke some discussion, packaging formats are really irrelevant.
DEBs and RPMs are just ways to package binary data in compressed and
distrutable ways. I think debs use bzip2 for compression, so that's
pretty much what that is (nothing fancy.)

But the way packages are built, the policy behind them, and the quality
of the compilation is what differs. The packaging is just that, a shell
casing.

--
scott c. linnenbringer    |  sl@panix.com
http://www.panix.com/~sl  | sl@moslug.org