Re: Good buy on DVD burner?

FYI - Fer Ya'lls Infamashun (got this from another source)

> http://store.yahoo.com/livewarehouse/frprmashnecn.html
> Anyone know if this is a good price on a DVD/CDR read/write combo burner?
> $122 seems too cheap to be true.

Not bad, good prices are in the $100-$150 range. What makes this nice is
that it is a name brand (NEC) AND a combo drive DVD+R DVD-R. Plus is the
better/more common, but it's still nice to be able to do Minus when you
need it.

NewEgg (newegg.com) has it for $124.99 and it was rated at 4 of 5 stars.

It is being replaced by the next series as the burn speeds are getting
faster.

> Does it work under Linux? IDE = IDE = IDE, right?

Yep. The problem with using Linux with DVDs is the "proprietary software"
that some dinosaur industries use to "decode and encode" regionalized DVDs
in order to enforce self-serving artificial trade barriers. I'm sure you can
find something suitable for that purpose that is compatible with your OS.
Also you'll need DVD authoring software (Toast may do it).

> Anyone have any experience with this model (or immediate predecessors)?

No, most of the folks I know, got the HP 300i when they were on sale for
$110 You can google for reviews at anandtech or tom's hardware

[And here's some kickin' scoop - mike]

Good deals can be had right now (If they haven't already) due to the reset
of stock (model changes) for the christmas season. Expect the season to be
pretty hot as companies try to boost sales (in a poor market) and raise
quarterly earnings (in an otherwise drab year). Dell should have some
pretty wicked deals comming down the pipe (if you're into that...)

Enjoy, and keep an eye on the deals. Black Friday is coming...

Mike/