Re: DNS aliasing

At 08:53 AM 10/3/2003, you wrote:

>I have a friend with a dynamic DNS service.
>
>Bascially, she's got a machine, alice.somedomain.com.
>
>I manage the DNS for otherdomain.com.
>
>I want to setup bob.otherdomain.com to always resolve to the same IP as
>alice.somedomain.com so that either name will work.
>
>In particular, http requests should be able to put up a virtual host for
>either.
>mod_rewrite can be used to send one to the other if this isn't needed.

You will need to either rewrite the URLs, .. or (simpler), just setup two
virtual host entries.

>I don't know jack about zone files (other than *basic* SOA, A, CNAME, and MX
>records).

As long as they point to the same IP, no worries. We have four different
domains pointing to the same IP for one client, .. the zone files are
identical except for the domain name.

  PS - If anyone has seen a decent 'automated' way (well, maybe not totally
automated, but at least menu driven, e.g. Perl system?) to manage DNS zones
& virtual host entries, please elucidate.

         Lee