AGP vs PCI

TO> I'd watch this... there is a significant difference in the speed of
TO> the AGP port in general, and especially the newer motherboards.
TO> You can use pci if you want, but just a note, there's a reason why
TO> they product agp card 10 to 1 over the pci cards now... ;)

Well, Travis, now you've gone and added confusion to my life.  Stress,
agitation, consternation, all those things.  Thanks.  It was getting
entirely too quiet around here.  :-)

My motherboard is a DFI K6XV3+/66 ATX-style with 768 MB of SD-100
(which is all that she'll address) and a AMD K-6/II humming along at
350 MHz. Nothing built into the MB, basic Sound Blaster PCI-16, Netgear
NIC, and PCI video card.

She runs just peachy with Debian/XFce, and the processor stays around
35 Centigrade under full load. With a good Antec power supply passing
juice, it's a sweet little system, and I just don't have any reason to
ditch it at this time.  Ditching it means new board, new processor, new
memory, $400 min, and why do I want to go and do something like that?
Also, have I told you guys that I'M CHEAP?

The PCI video card has the nVidia RIVA TNT chipset and 16-MB RAM. It's
reliable as long as I don't install the latest nVidia driver. And I'm
no longer a newbie, but the only way that I was ever able to wipe the
newer driver was to wipe the root partition.  The standard Linux NV
driver is your best bet.  Trust me on this.

My motherboard has an AGP slot.  Nowhere in the manual does it say AGP
2X, AGP 4X, AGP 8X.  Just plain ol' AGP.  The Radeon 7000 AGP lists bus
type as 2X/4X. What does that mean? That the 7000 AGP card is not
compatible with a 1X AGP slot?

I think that I might get an increase in performance with a 7000 or
7500, but anything more capable than the 7500 would probably never get
to flex its muscles.