Re: RH questions

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:05:16 -0500, Gary
<gary-list-silug@mygirlfriday.info> wrote:

> m> Notably, these distros are based on Debian, so you could just cave
> and use m> straight up Debian. But their unique features really do add
> value for their m> audiences - which are primarily Windows refugees.
> But that's not you, so m> you will likely prefer moving straight to
> Debian.
>
> Yes, but Debian has a history of not being current with the kernel,
> products, etc...

False, also a half-truth. ;)

The stable Debian distribution contains software that has been tested to
the highest degree. It has very few bugs and is very mature software,
albeit older. Any newer software that you might wish to try is
always available from Debian developers in the form of backports.

The unstable branch has all the latest software for the most
part. While it has a few more bugs, namely because the software and
packages are newer and not guaranteed to always work
(very rarely do I run into any problems, and never had I had a problem
that wasn't already documented in bugs.debian.org.) In fact, the
unstable distribution is often updated with the latest stuff before
other distributions. And if it's too new or unstable for inclusion, then
you can typically always find it in experimental or an unofficial
developer's repository (on either people.debian.org or whatever.)

Contrary to popular belief, Debian does not at all NOT have a history of
being current. You can either be current, or you can be stable. Debian
gives you a choice.

--
Scott Christopher Linnenbringer		[sl@eskimo.com]
http://www.eskimo.com/~sl/info.txt 	[sl@moslug.org]