Re: SpamAssassin and Osirus

It won't be.  As a SA goon who was affected by this personally (for more
info check out http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1605 *warning*
some of the banners on somethingawful.com might be objectionable to some
people.), I am glad that someone finally got a clue about this. Osirusoft
was using SPEWS for their blacklisting and SPEWS is run by the largest
group of idiots that I have ever heard of.  Their idea of dealing with
spammers is not to block hosts but to block entire net blocks, ie if
62.57.34.124 was the IP of the spammer, they would block 62.57.32.0/21
rather than just that IP.  In doing this, they blocked ALOT of legitimate
emails for alot of customers of several west coast isps.  Slashdot did an
article on this last week, they had a list of useful blacklists to use.

good riddance.

tighe

> http://use.perl.org/articles/03/08/27/1626247.shtml?tid=1
>
> merlyn writes:
>
> "If you use Mail::SpamAssassin and the default configuration, and have
>  enabled the default relay checks but disabled bayes testing, or you have
>  tweaked your configuration so that you enabled the checks for Osirusoft
>  under additional circumstances, you should take steps immediately to disable
>  such checks. Apparently, after having been DDOS'ed, the Osirusoft people
>  have "given up the ghost" and are now returning back every IP as a spam
>  source when queried!"
>
> Hopefully, it's temporary.
>
> Mike/

Tighe Schlottog         workape         fiaid
"Nothing is too cruel if it is funny enough."