Re: Microsoft: Insecure by design

On Monday 25 August 2003 10:17 pm, you wrote:
> I could never figure out this.  Every IT admin should be fired if their
> company had problems with these 2 worms.  There is no excuse for not
> blocking, on the WAN side port 135, etc... This is just plain stupidity or
> lack of knowledge. ... in my humble opinion...

 Gary:

 On the face of it, that would seem to be the case. However the FDA.gov (where
I work at) did indeed apply the patches (or so they thought). Evidently there
was a flaw in the patching software. In any event, my work place was shutdown
for an entire day and then sobig-F virus devasted them a few days later.

 NOTE: the day the luvsan worm hit, I used Debian Libranet to process my lab
work. Presonally, I think it's crazy for the US government to spend millions
on a system that is, quite frankly, shoddy when you have several fine distros
to choose from. For starters, most major distros (RedHat, Debian, SuSE,
Mandrake and I bet Gentoo) come with basic scientific tools like Octave,
Rasmol, Chemtool, LyX, GSL, and Gnuplot. Windows has none of these programs
preinstalled. Most of the software on your store bought Windows boxes is just
useless fluff.

					Kind regards
					Jonathan