Re: SCO may be out of gas

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Stephen D Reindl wrote:

> It would appear from Bruce Perens analysis that SCO may not have done
> their homework.
>
> http://www.perens.com/SCO/SCOSlideShow.html
>
> Of course, the courts and the lawyers haven't checked in yet, and we all
> know how unpredictable that can be.

The real kicker is that SCO's predecessor-in-interest to Sys V, Caldera,
released the "infringing" code under the GPL for the better part of the
'90s. That's why SCO is now trying to invalidate the GPL. An excellent
analysis of that issue can be found here:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/21/1061434974481.html

Frankly, I think this is just a stock-manipulation scam. If you check the
SEC filings by SCO's executives, they loaded up with tens of thousands of
options in late 2002 and early 2003. Since then, SCO's share price has
quintupled -- primarily because of the unqualified, forward-looking public
statements of those executives about the outcome of litigation. At the
same time, McBride and crew have dumped huge amounts of stock, supposedly
pursuant to a "safe-harbor" plan. The whole thing reeks of fraud.

When it all shakes out, I think SCO and its top brass are going to be
pilloried by the SEC, and, eventually, disappear under an avalanche of
shareholder lawsuits. I added my log to the fire by filing a complaint
with the SEC, here:

http://www.sec.gov/complaint/cf942sec9570.htm

JEB