Re: Novell buys Ximian

 <------------------ snipped for brevity ---------------------------->

> > >let me just stick my neck out and say that I for one think this is a good
> > >thing, the novell of today
> > >is certainly not the one that sold off the unix code, this is the novell
> > >thats been beaten by M$ not the
> > >one thats fighting for market share, this novell has had to completely
> > >retool and rethink the way that
> > >it does business and what exactly that it does (i.e. no more "real"
<-------------------- also snipped -------------------------------------->

please explain robert, as i've already said your looking at a very different
company, a company thats beaten, this is not the novell with 80% market share
in it's industry, companies that are at their height usually aquire other
companies to add revenue stream and other opportunities even if they aren't
very familiar with the market they are entering, unfortunately this usually
ends up being a bad thing for the product/company that is acquired because
the main company can always get rid of it's acquisition if it doesn't need it
anymore, the thing with the novell-ximian deal is that novell needs linux
coders and they desperately need to get away from the windows platform that
has beaten them so badly, their only hope of survival right now is to move
to linux/unix where the strengths they do posess are appreciated (excellent
user management, complex/powerful file rights system, desktop management,
groupware and user based firewall management), i know i would love to have
all the benifits i had when i was working with novell with the power and
flexibility of the linux desktop, if novell fails with this effort i'm afraid
they aren't going to get another chance, on the other hand ximian can always
be disolved and a new company to do comercial work on the gnome project can
always be created, if i'm not mistaken gnome and evolution are both gpl (or
something fairly similar) in which case the code will go on even if ximian
is gone, i would love to hear your take on this robert, do you think novell
has some wierd idea to stop developement of gnome?

Bob T. Kat