Re: Novell buys Ximian

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:32:01AM -0500, dsavage@peaknet.net wrote:
> Not the sort of news flash I was prepared for on a Monday morning.
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030804/sfm098_1.html
>
> So much for Mono, Evolution, GNOME desktop, and many other winners from
> Ximian. I wonder how long it will take Novell to spin them off to (gasp!)
> SCO for IP rendering.
>
> --Doc

let me just stick my neck out and say that I for one think this is a good thing, the novell of today
is certainly not the one that sold off the unix code, this is the novell thats been beaten by M$ not the
one thats fighting for market share, this novell has had to completely retool and rethink the way that
it does business and what exactly that it does (i.e. no more "real" netware), i believe they are more
concerned with becoming the creative fresh thinking company than ever before, if they can tie in NDS and
port over the zen tools for handling massive networks of linux boxes with ease then i'm all for it, if
they can put thier two cents in on the server side of evolution (groupwise with a twist) and make
evolution the outlook killer we all know it is then i'm all for it, IMHO Novell is one of the more
respectable companies in the industry and have had many really good ideas, give em a chance, remember they
got beat because microsoft (thier competetor) controlled the client platform

Bob T. Kat