Re: Linux/RedHat documentation

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:16:46 -0500, Stephen D Reindl wrote:

>What has always been my biggest bitch about any flavor of Linux is
>the lack of cohesive, coherent and reliable documentation. A newbie
>can get lost and befuddled by the tremendous amount of technical
>"man pages", "HOWTO's", and "mini-HOWTO's" that all point to each
>other and sometimes cause more confusion than help. I think some in
>the community have lost that lovin feeling because they are far
>beyond the newbie stage and don't remember. If we want new people
>experiencing the open source revolution then we must make it
>friendlier and easier. Linux is still not ready for the Home
>Desktop, out of the box.

We talked about this some at the LUCI newbie night earlier this week. I have
a friend in Cincinatti (I'm in Springfield) who's made the move to Linux
earlier this year. His biggest complaint is that there are so many programs
that do the same thing. Not knowing much about any of them he was really over
whelmed. Jim, my friend, said he wished there were a distribution that didn't
install anything except for a web browser, email client, Open Office, and a
file manager by default. Then you could be up and running painlessly and
gradually learn to pick and choose alternatives or additional programs as you
needed them.

Tim