Re: Email Relay

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 12:21:58PM -0500, john doe wrote:
> use your current isp's mail servers as your outgoing instead
>
> most isps just relay anything you send as long as you are coming from a
> valid customer ip for their network
>
> Casey

just to expand on casey's point it doesn't matter what address you have set up
in your mail client as to what smtp server your sending from:

my current mail server:  katspit.evilkat.com
my email address in mutt: bobkat79@charter.net

so now when i send to the list you see the mail came from bobkat79@charter.net
but if you check the headers it actually came from katspit.evilkat.com where
i have fetchmail setup to pop all my email off of charter (uml boxes are great!)

just making sure you understand that the smtp server does not tag (or auth most
of the time) your username/email addy to the email your sending

hope this helps

Bob T. Kat