Re: Certification choices

At 05:25 PM 5/25/2003, you wrote:

>SBC may have cancelled your old analog service, but I'll bet they're
>re-using your old copper pairs for your ADSL service. If yours are
>anything like mine, they're chock full of load coils and half taps that
>have accumulated over many years of analog use. No power on earth (and
>no amount of bitching) can force SBC to scan for, locate, and remove
>that junk for better ADSL service. For $150 (I think) SBC will sell you
>a new "dry pair" ($300 for two pairs / 4-wire??).

SWBell has not sold 'dry pairs' for many years. They were originally used
for the alarm industry 30 years ago, .. but those tariffs have long since
expired. Only some of the much smaller phone companies (like Orchard Farms)
still sell them.

>As far as I know, the only sure way to begin DSL service with new copper
>is to order SBC's business-oriented iDSL symmetric service. It costs a
>helluva lot more than ADSL.

Sorry, .. iDSL is **NOT** business-oriented DSL service!! It is DSL over
ISDN - connecting a pair of wires conditioned for ISDN (i.e. no 18,000 ft
distance restriction) to a DSLAM for 144 Kbps over a single pair. Works
great if you're too far for DSL - we sell it for $109. The only gotcha is
that YOUR CO must have a DSLAM (i.e. sell DSL to other customers).

'Businss Grade DSL' is SDSL. Speeds to 1.544 Mbps (T1 speeds) over a single
pair, but, of course, the distance limitations are critival. If anyone
would like a quote, email me off-list.

         Lee