Re: OT: floppy drives suck (was Re: OT: power supplies suck)

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 05:57:08PM -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> Wasted bandwidth guys. If you'd followed the link I provided to the PS
> tester in question, you'd have noticed a large rectangular object. It's
> a ceramic power resister. Enough with Ohm's Law, OK?

I'm not talking specifically about the PSU tester.  I'm talking about
the floppy drive.

In case you happened to miss one of the mails (stuff happens on
networks, and things get lost; deal), the floppy drive in question
creates a short when plugged into a power supply.

I'm pretty sure that anyone having dealt with electronics has played
with prototyping breadboards or trainers or something where you can just
strip some wire and stick it into a little socket on a board without
soldering.  Now, every line coming out of the PSU, including the ones
piggybacking off the Molex plugs, is wired in parallel, so if a device
is separated, the rest of the circuit doesn't crumble to the ground.  On
the breadboard, if you connect every single little component directly to
the powered ends, they're wired in parallel.

Okay, so I've outlined that.  Stick a wire from the positive pole on the
breadboard to the negative pole.  It shorts the entire thing out,
doesn't it?  This is pretty much the same thing that's happening with
the PSU and the floppy drive.

--
Nathaniel Reindl
fiction&sdf;lonestar;org >> fiction&twu;net >>