Re: Linux Peeves

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 05:50, Stephen D Reindl wrote:
> Now here's a guy I can sympathize with. What goes where and how do you
> get it all backed up the way you want it.
>
> I was trying to get to the GNUCASH website yesterday for a friend on IRC
> that was interested but unwilling to dump Windows because of his Quicken
> stuff. Well, you couldn't get there. Here's why.
>
> http://www.gnucash.org/
>
> And he's blowing off a little steam about stuff that's wrong with Linux
> here
>
> http://www.linas.org/linux/peeves.html
>
> I don't know about most of you, but the part about linux and it's apps
> putting stuff in weird places and giving you some cryptic message when
> it's about to fail really gets to me sometimes. I'm not a sysadmin, I
> don't want to be a sysadmin or netadmin or consultant. I'm a luser who
> wants his stuff to work (why I use linux). The cryptic crap makes me
> scream at inanimate things sometimes. "WTF does that mean?" Anyway,
> the keeper of GNUCASH.ORG ain't happy either

Steve,

Feel any better? I'd be steamed too if I thought someone deliberately
caused that outage (like a DDoS attack). Truth be told though, feces
occur. I can empathise with the guys at the gnucash web site. Murphy is
obviously alive and well.

I recently asked this list about another odd Linux error message. What I
got for an answer was both unresponsive and insulting.

Whenever I get a wierd error message in Windows, I've learned to jot it
down word for word, and search thru TechNet for those exact words. More
often than not, I'll get multiple hits on that text string. It would be
nice if there were a TechNet-like knowledge base for Linux.

--Doc