Re: Where did you start?

On Friday 04 April 2003 03:06 pm, you wrote:
>  I was
> wondering how you got your start, and what you used to better
> yourselves (besides the jump-into-the-deep-end-and-try-to-swim
> method).  Funny stories, anecdotes, and tales from the dark side
> would be much appreciated.

Hello Adam:

 I used DOS 3.3 until November 1999 when i switched to Linux. I decided
to try it out after the completely dismal experiences I had with
Windows, which I was using in college at the time.

 I have found these articles to be great value:

UNIX Tutorial for Beginners
(The basic commands are the same as Linux)
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

On Line tutorials for FreeBSD and Linux
(Although these are for FreeBSD many of the commands and concepts are
the same, IMHO FreeBSD has faster gui load times and stability than
Linux. These tutorials are very well written).
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/q/FreeBSD_Basics

Awk by example
These tutorials are written by Daniel Robbins, the Gentoo developer. I
have found them to be very good.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-awk1.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-awk2.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-awk3.html

Sed tutorials by Daniel Robbins:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-sed1.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-sed2.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-sed3.html

Bash by example; once again by Daniel Robbins
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-bash.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-bash2.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-bash3.html

An excellent reference is the RUTE tutorial:
http://rute.sourceforge.net/

Whatever distro you get, make sure that it will work with your hardware.
I use a WalMart AMD box with an ATI Radeon 7000 video card and an
external modem.  It works very well.  I have installed and run SuSE,
Mandrake, Debian, Lycoris and FreeBSD on this box.