Re: Where did you start?

The things that served me the best were O'Reilly's "UNIX in a Nutshell"
book, and WROX presses' "Beginning Linux Programming"; it will get you
started in shell programming, network programming, etc. (You need to know
C in advance -- it's not a dummy book ).  Those two should get you started
in about any direction you want to go.

Another helpful thing having good familiarity with hardware and network
protocols.  Programming in general too.  I've found that if you know how
the hardware operates (atleast generally), you already have a pretty good
idea as to what the OS/application software has to be doing.

Another handy thing would be to read the system init/shutdown scripts in
/etc/init.d .  You'll get familiar with shell programming and your system
at the same time.

Let me know want kind of help that was to you.

Mike