Re: D-LINK and WiFi

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 23:45, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> > but D-Link stubbornly refuses to release detailed the technical information
> > required to create Linux drivers.
>
> So don't buy cr@p hardware, no matter how good a "deal" you're getting on price,
> since, as you found out, price doesn't always tell the whole story.
>
> If D-Link won't deliver a Linux solution, then fsck 'em.
> Buy some other hardware. Avaya, Orinoco, Buffalo, Senao, will take your money.
> And work under Linux.

Mike,

Fact is, price was not a factor in this case. The D-Link DI-754 was the
first AP to support both 802.11a and 802.11b simultaneously. All their
prior WiFi products are supported, so I had no reason to think D-Link
would be so Linux-hostile when it came to their DWL-A650 802.11a card. I
can configure the AP via its excellent web interface. I've even been
able to upgrade its FlashBIOS with Linux that way. The show-stopper is
the card. For its Windows-only support of the card I would love to
expose D-Link's childishness in a very public forum.

--Doc