Re: Gentoo: To mirror or not to mirror?

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 16:35, Nate Reindl wrote:
> Please don't start this holy war.  I *really* don't want to hear the
> SysV and BSD folk bitching about init scripts.

Not a holy war unless _SOMEONE_ insists on creating one where none
existed. Merely pointing out factual differences. VHS was different from
Beta. In a Darwinian elimination, VHS sales ultimately overwhelmed Beta.
Regardless of your personal preferences (which you are free to have and
express), since its release twenty-odd years ago SysV has been steadily
replacing Berkeley as the Unix flavor of choice. That's a simple,
undeniable fact. Unless you're into denial for denial's sake.

> Gee.  So what if BSD init doesn't have runlevels?  It's clean and easy
> to understand, just like everything else about BSD; there's an almost
> minimalist elegance to it.

One man's minimalist elegance is another's inadequate. You say tomato
and I say marinara. Which would you prefer to have over pasta?

> So what if SysV has runlevels?  Most people don't even understand the
> point of them, and the configuration for them all is spread all over the
> place.

Nothing personal, Nate, but who appointed you the spokesperson for "most
people" ? Automatic transmissions are hideously complex inside, but
"most people" learn how to use them just fine. chkconfig makes managing
init scripts as simple as PRNDL. If you want real simple with little
configurability, there is another competitor OS...

> So what if BSD hackers are liberal? ... So what if SysV hackers are
> conservative? ... So what if my tongue is blue?
>
> Take it somewhere else.

Watching your retreating footsteps in the snow....

--Doc