Re: Ah, I love the smell of MS SQL Server 2K burning in the morning...

On Saturday 25 January 2003 14:33, you wrote:
> So is the problem that our root nameservers, run by a government-mandated
> monopoly to Verisign, use MS SQL Server 2K and have jeopardized a major
> function of the Internet by their choice in this software,

Very interesting. I also guess that Microsoft will say that the attack
happened because Sys Admins did not patch their machines. However, I noticed
that the supposed patch was not available until 17 January or 21 January
2003! Furthermore here is the article to prove it:
Excerpt:

January 21, 2003 2:49 pm PT

update  MICROSOFT ON MONDAY announced availability of SQL Server 2000 Service
Pack 3, featuring a monitoring API and enhanced error reporting for
Microsoft's server database. .....
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/03/01/21/030121hnsql3.xml

 Also it appears that Microsoft wants you to pay for this service pack. A free
download may exist but I could not get it to download.

> At what point does Microsoft lose its ability to deny claims of
> manufacturer negligence in their software product?

Of course they are negligent. They post a patch only three days before the
virus hits and allocate miniscule bandwidth for it's download. It's a "cover
your ass" job. On Monday,  the spin doctors will chirp "gee a patch was
available; the sys admins were negligent".

> On the other hand, if they stand behind their claim that MS software is
> explicitly "not fit for any purpose",

It's worthless crap and they know it. That is why all the disclaimers are in
there in the first place. I deal with this BS at work every day. Every day
there is some crisis. Either the stupid IIS server cannot access Chem Webbook
or the the database or e-mail is down. The damn Win 2000 Instrumentation
software locks up or it won't detect properly. the most infuriating thing is
you have to cross examine the vendors to get them to tell you what the bug is
and how to circumvent it.

--
		Kind Regards,
		Jonathan