Re: OT: SANS 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Nate Reindl wrote:

> I'm a sophomore right now, so it'll be two years come the end of this session.

Sophmore was a good year... at least for me.  Senioritis kicked in second
week of my Junior year and those were 2 long years.

> > Now back to the regularly scheduled RH7.3+XFS install in progress... hey!,
>
> XFS is probably the best filesystem ever.  I use it on my workstation here, and
> I'll use it on fileservers along with AFS as a networking option.

I look at it this way.  SGI has had a long time to figure this stuff out.
I figure they outta know what they're doing.  Even if the O2's are some of
the worst hardware they've produced, outside of their NT workstations.

> > one of the few things SGI are not dorks for... XFS.  Hrm... been awhile
>
> Damn straight.  Heh.

Well, OpenGL too, but that's no longer the case.  I know a lot of the BSD
crowd is fuming SGI GPL'd XFS, however it would have been nothing for M$
to take all that work and roll it into the next version of Win.  Funny, I
saw BSD type licensed code from M$... code from a company they purchased.
Weird reading a license file c 2002 Microsoft.

> > since I did an NFS install.  It seems to be puking on installing perl.
> > NFS not happy...  Must muster strength...
>
> NFS is evil.  Well, it's at least *very* insecure.

well, like Dr. Strangelove, I've come to love NFS for certain things.  NFS
is useable under linux with 2.4 kernels.  That said, I'm squarely kicking
myself in the nards for this poor example of a kernel running on my
workstation.  I'm a motherboard away from completely upgrading this 2.2.19
kernel based box.

I'll agree that NFS is insecure, but portmapper is the worst.

> NFS = No F?cking Security

No freaking standards.   Yeah, there's a standard.  But whether or not
they adhere to it is another story.

Sean...

--
Believing I had supernatural powers, I slammed into a brick wall.
	--Paul Simon