Re: using parted

Mike,

You may have missed my original post. There is nothing wrong with my
partition table. I do not need to use dd.

What I need to do is use parted to shrink an existing primary partition
to make room for another. That new fourth partition will receive the
present contents of the /pub directory, and will be mounted to /pub.
While these two layouts will be identical in normal use, in the new one
/pub will not be destroyed when I do a fresh installation of RH8.

The problem is there is stark disagreement in the units of measure for
Start/End and start/end as used by fdisk and parted, respectively. The
former are linear coordinates (block or cylinder numbers), while the
latter are storage volumes (megabytes).

If you know of some other tool that performs the same resizing function
as parted, please advise.

--Doc