Re: using parted

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 04:39:30PM -0600, Robert Savage wrote:
> This is important because the slightest difference in these numbers will
> probably cause an irretrievable loss in data. Rounding errors are simply
> not tolerated.

Presumably parted does the math and picks the nearest cylinder
boundary, much like fdisk does when you give it a size (+nM) instead
of a cylinder number.

The whole point is that it is supposed to be easy to use.

BTW, if I may LVM again here...  It would be a Very Good Thing if you
could just get that data off the disk entirely, do a fresh install of
Red Hat 8.0 with LVM (using Disk Druid in the GUI installer), and move
the data back onto the disk.  That way, the next time you need to
resize "partitions" (logical volumes), it is as simple as using
e2fsadm.  (XFS will even let you resize filesystems while they are
mounted.  How cool is that?)