Re: RH 7.3 -> 8.0 Upgrade Questions

Koree,

There are indeed tradeoffs.

Having OpenOffice.org is nice, but I lost access to my Linmodem. The C
code for lt-modem is not yet compatible with gcc 3.2.

Personally I like the new desktop, but everything (and I mean EVERYTHING)
is in a different place and done differently in Gnome2. To compound this,
there is little or no comprehensive documentation. We're all fumbling in
the dark on this one.

CodeWeaver's WINE stuff works pretty well, but VMWare 3.2 has major
problems. I cannot suspend any of my virtual machines under RH8, which
means there's no way to pick up a session where I left off.

For the most part, nothing distributed in binary form for 7.3 will work in
8.0. Even if you can get the source code, there's a good chance it won't
compile under gcc 3.2 the way it did under good ol' gcc 2.96RH.

This may sound harsh, but I'm beginning to look at 8.0 as though it's not
yet "ready for prime time." Professionally, I would not recommend it to
anyone in a business production environment (workstation or server).
"Dot-oh" releases are often shakey, and RH8.0 is no exception.

--Doc