Re: up2date ??

I like up2date.  I really do.  But, I have had issues with it in the past.  For example, under Red Hat 7.0, I've found that you have to update up2date first before you just try to do up2date -u or whatever to update everything, or it crashes out with dependency problems.  Each time I have had major problems with up2date, the newer version generally fixed them.

Also, have you ever tried to use it over a modem connection that disconnects once in a while?  It doesn't deal well with partially downloaded rpm's.  It should use checksums or something like rsync (or just use rsync for downloads, for that matter).  But instead, it can get really confused about that.  That's why when that happens I had to clear out the /var/spool/up2date directory.  Getting a cable modem and a wireless network solved 90% of the problems though because I no longer got partial downloads.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Savage [mailto:dsavage@peaknet.net]
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 11:18 AM
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: Re: up2date ??

> The flakiness of up2date can be solved by clearing out the
> /var/spool/up2date directory.

IMHO there is nothing at all flakey about up2date. Some of its users, on
the other hand....    :-)

Seriously, though, up2date is a powerful capability. By default in RH7.3
and RH8.0, up2date is usually called by the RHN panel applet. It can be
used at a command line prompt as an RPM fetcher/installer like apt. And if
your system ever gets out of sync with RHN, you can simply type:

   # up2date -p

to update the list of installed RPMs in your RHN System Profile.

Once I have the RHN account for a system set up and running properly, I
set up the following little cron job. This runs up2date in background as
root in character mode every day at 4:02 a.m., automatically downloading
and installing any available errata or update packages.

    # cat /etc/cron.daily/up2date.cron
    #!/bin/sh
    renice +19 >/dev/null 2>&1
    /usr/sbin/up2date-nox *

I never have to worry about unpatched and vulnerable systems. Up2date
handles everything for me. This is a great way to manage a large number of
servers and/or workstations.

--Doc