Gnome2 desktop fonts - again

I've received had a couple of suggestions in response to my original post. Steve
suggested I rename the .gnome* files to .gnome*.save and let the system replace
them. Nate suggested I try setting font sizes at a command prompt using
gconftool-2. Unfortunately neither suggestion worked. Perhaps I need to describe
the problem in a little bit more detail.

The ultra-tiny screen characters at issue are the ones used to label icons on
the desktop. They're also the ones that appear in drop-down menus. Depending on
how it's launched, all fonts in a gnome-terminal window (including the window
title, menu bar, and shell prompt / data area) are so small that it rather like
a thumbnail picture.

I've thought about completely removing all Gnome RPMs and replacing them. I've
discovered this is a lot easier said than done.

Before I start archiving everything preparatory to a complete reinstallation,
does anyone know where I can get my hands on a seriously detailed Gnome2
reference document that describes the locations and contents of all G2 files?

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL