Psyche

Number 1. What was broke in 7.3 stayed broke after the upgrade. I'm not
sure why USB stuff broke during the 7.3 install but it did and it stayed
broke after the 8.0 upgrade. I got an rpmdb error during the install and
it aborted. Halelluja for IRC. Steve was on #LUGS and he steered me
toward rpm --rebuilddb, which fixed that problem. So after the rpmdb was
broke and then the USB stuff stayed broke I just did a clean install.
Repartitioned and the whole works. This is a very new computer and
Psyche likes it mucho.

Number 2. Things are missing. No Xine, The start application menu is
reworked and took a few minutes to find things.Clicking the Red Fedora
and then Internet brings up a sub menu. 2 notable entries are EMail
(Evolution) and Web Browser (Mozilla). Since I didn't install GNOME I
expected these to be Konqueror and KMail, They are not.There is a very
nice little app under extras/graphics called kuickshow. Great for
looking at the photos on my cf card before playing with them in GIMP.

Under preferences there is an entry for login photo that allows you to
enter your own photo into the GDM login screen. Kinda cool if you're
vain. ahem.

All the OpenOffice stuff is there. The bluecurve desktop has a very
snappy feel and smooth elegant look. The graphics are superb.

I like it. My new computer likes it. I think I'll keep it and wait for
the fixes. I need a USB 2.0 CF card reader to test how well the USB 2.0
stuff works. Everything else jams. My 6 channel audio sounds superb.

One more bitch. When the install went to the X configuration it insisted
on installing the vesa driver instead of the nv driver for my GeForce4.
This broke X and I had to manually edit the XF86Config to fix it. Note
to Steve Pritchard- My MS Explorer now works just fine with the KVM. I
still can't use all five buttons but 3 are there and the wheel works.
Guess my XFree config was broke or something. It works fine now.

Pointless ramblings and first impressions. And yes, CATS
							  STILL