Re: RH 8.0 --- Me want Xine!

I can't tell from the mplayer home page, so I'll ask here. Does mplayer
have a non-gui full screen capability? I want a player that will come up
when called from a command line (like xterm -e mplayer path/to/dvd) and
not have any capability for getting to the desktop. I'm currently doing
this with ogle with "xterm -e ogle -u cli /mnt/dvd" but I'm willing to try
other players to see if the image qualities are different.

eks

On 4 Oct 2002, John Bell wrote:

> What a bummer, xine not included?  It might be included just not
> installed by default.  I'd check the RPMS directory on all the CD's.  If
> not just load the xine packages off of the 7.3 cd's or download the
> latest from http://xine.sourceforge.net/ and compile natively for the
> 3.2 libs.
>
> As an alternative, try MPlayer at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/
> Personally, I like it better.  I think it renders the video better than
> xine and doesn't seem to freeze as much.  But the gui is not as mature
> as Xine.  On the upside it supports more formats than xine.
>

> John
>
> On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 11:17, Charlie Brune wrote:
> > Huh?  Where the heck is "Xine"?  How am I supposed to play my mpegs and
> > avi's?
> >
> > Downloading/installing Xine is not fun.  I have not had success.  I can't
> > play my "Warriors of the Net" mpeg.  My head hurts.
> >
> > Is this the non-multimedia distro or what?!?!?!  8-(
> >
> > Sad,
> > Chas
> >

> > -
> > To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@silug.org with
> > "unsubscribe silug-discuss" in the body.

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/