Apt on CDROM (and nice sound editing, too)

Hear ye, O apt fans,
  In my searches for useful software to digitize my old LPs for cdburning
I came across a really useful site for general redhat apt users. At
"planet CCRMA" http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ you can
download apt-enabled iso images of the RedHat updates, as well as
apt-enabled isos of their own fine audio workstation software. This is
great for people like me who have good connections (and access to
cdburners) at work, but really poor bandwidth at home. The update iso I
downloaded last friday (sept 13) was up to date as of August 28, so it
covers all the big updates so far.

  When you have one of these iso's burned to a CD, you type
"apt-cdrom add" and it prompts you for the name you want to use for the
cd. It then includes that package information whenever you do an apt-get
operation. Cool.

Erich

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/