Re: pptp (poptop)

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 01:20:10PM -0500, Bob T. Kat wrote:
> Has any of you worked with poptop for vpn?

I'm actually in the process of setting it up for a client.

As a total side note, I'm going to try setting them up with a UML
kernel compiled with the appropriate PPP encryption support, so that
when you connect to the PPTP server, you actually connect to an
unprivileged user process (instead of something that is running as
root).  More on this when I actually have it set up...

> I've been trying to figure out what the local and remote ip address
> settings in the config file are

Routing.  The PPP links are assigned an address out of the local
address pool for the local end, and an address out of the remote
address pool for the remote end.  (This means that the local end
really only needs one address, which could be the same as the ethernet
interface address.)