From: silug-discuss-owner@silug.org
[mailto:silug-discuss-owner@silug.org] On Behalf Of Tighe Schlottog
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 2:02 PM
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: Re: pptp (poptop)

from checking out the config that you sent, it appears that it will be
what you thought.  it looks like the remote ip is going to be a routed
destination through the tunnel and the local ip is going to be nat'ed in
some fashion to the localip.  something like this

machine1(10.0.0.1) wants to connect to 192.168.1.240, so the packet flow
does this.

10.0.0.1 -> listening pptp ip (64.x) -> 192.168.1.238(10.0.0.1)

it will grab the first IP in the local pool if it isn't being used
already
by another source.  now for the remote desintiation though, it is goi to
need a unique IP for each one.  so at the remote end, you get something
liek this

192.168.1.238(10.0.0.1) -> pptp far end -> 192.168.1.240

the response will then follow the same schema to return the packets.
this
seemes a little weird, why aren't you just using the straight up pptp
that
comes with the system instead of this?

> Has any of you worked with poptop for vpn?  I've been trying to figure
> out what the local and remote ip address settings in the config file
are
> what I'm guessing is that the remote ip's are like an access control
> list or ip's that are allowed to connect and local ip's are the
assigned
> local ip addresses so the remote computer can see the local network,
of
> course I could be wayyyy off, I have been unable to find an
explanation
> (it's probably really obvious), any help would be great, thanks
>
> Bobkat
>
> "One cat just leads to another."
> - Ernest Hemingway -

Tighe		w00t		blumnky