Re: Screen's going black

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 20:22, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> > A temporary fix would be to enter this in a gnome-terminal/xterm/etc.:
> >
> > $ xset -dpms
>
> If that's the problem, then "xset q" would say that DPMS is enabled.
> Look for something like this in the output:
>
>     DPMS (Energy Star):
>       Standby: 600    Suspend: 900    Off: 1200
>       DPMS is Disabled
>
> If it does say that DPMS is disabled, then you'll want to shut off the
> kernel console blanking with "setterm -blank 0".

Following Steve and Nate's suggestions (thanks guys!)  Here's what I
did:  The first thing was the xset -dmps, which I did in the
XF86Config-4 file, and that didn't do the trick (I did restart X).  So
then I did the setterm -blank 0 and the screen still went black.  So
finally I checked out the man page for xset and set the Prefer Blanking
and Allow Exposures both to no by doing a xset s noblank then I did,
after see that the first xset didn't work, xset s noexpose.  So know the
screen doesn't go black.

I'm not sure if that's the way it was meant to be done but it works and
that's what counts.

Thanks,
Jason
--