Re: Yellow Dog Linux CDs for your LInux User Group (fwd)

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Aaron Cronkright wrote:

> I have a Mac IIsi system collecting dust.  Is it too old of a machine to run
> linux?  My gut sayz yes, but I need to ask since I have been "tattooed" with
> intel stuff.  This machine is based on the Motorola 68000 uP and not the
> PowerPC.

It's too old to run YDL and the other PPC based distros.  Your best bet
would be Debian.  Keep in mind that the IIsi is an unusual beast as far as
Macs go.  It's an 030 sans FPU, and likewise uses a PDS and not NuBus.

http://www.lowendmac.net/ii/iisi.shtml

Depending on the app (MacOS wise) it's a still useable machine, but it's
not a great machine as evidenced by the LEM Road Apple award (one of the
better (as in not nearly as bad as some of the LC's) Road Apples of the
bunch IMO.

As much as it pains me, Debian is the only thing that remotely resembles a
distro for the 68k hardware.

Sean...

--
Believing I had supernatural powers, I slammed into a brick wall.
	--Paul Simon