Re: Possible topic for tonight's meeting? (O'Fallon)

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 09:25:04AM -0500, Brune, Charlie wrote:
> Is it time for me to (finally) learn what "apt" is?

No, that time was a few months ago.  ;-)

Start by going to http://apt.freshrpms.net/ and downloading (and
installing) the right version of apt for your version of Red Hat.

> Is it like "rpm"?  Is it better than "rpm"?  Will I now use .apt files instead?

No, it is just a front-end to rpm.  You still can do everything with
rpm, even with apt installed.  Apt just makes most day-to-day things
easier.

> I've been "rsyncing" the updates directory and applying the updates (via "rpm
> -Fvh <whatever>.rpm") that I feel like updating.  Is this better?

Much.  It handles downloading the updates for you (no reason to keep
all the updates around), including dependencies, which rpm -F won't
do.  You can also upgrade to a new version of Red Hat just using apt
(although I'll freely admit that rebooting and running the installer
from CD is usually simpler and faster).

> Don't tell me now!  Tell me tonight!  8-)

It's too easy to tell you now.  ;-)  (Besides, you need this so you
can copy & paste.)

Once you install the apt rpm, you just need to edit
/etc/apt/sources.list, comment out any currently un-commented lines,
and add the following, toward the top of the file:

    rpm http://ftp.silug.org/pub/apt redhat/7.3/en/i386 os updates-os
    rpm-src http://ftp.silug.org/pub/apt redhat/7.3/en/i386 os updates-os

Of course, I'm assuming you're on Red Hat 7.3.  Change the 7.3 to 7.2
or whatever as appropriate.

After you've done that, you can just run the following:

    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

and apt should fetch all the current updates (except for kernel
updates, those are handled a little differently) and install them for
you.