Re: Sun SparcServer 20

Quoting Jason Smith <jvsmith@midamer.net>:

> I just came into possession of a Sun SparcServer 20.  I don't yet know
> if it works because it doesn't have any RAM.  I've been looking on Sun's
> website for information but can't seem to find any.

The SPARCstation/server series is too far behind for Sun to think about keeping
specs and stuff locally.

> Does anyone know where a good place to find information about this system is?

> Also will this machine be able to run Linux> And if so how well?

It's better than my SPARCstation 5 running RH6.2, methinks, so you can expect
something stable and reliable... mayhaps.  It'll probably be damn slow, so make
sure you have an almost endless supply of caffeine to keep up.

Uhm, if you do plan to run X (it's most likely you will), don't use anything
like Gnome or KDE.  Xfce'll work okay, but anything as bulky as Gnome/KDE won't
run all too well.  I've always found something like Blackbox, PWM, or Ion to be
the best way to go; look on Freshmeat for them.

--
Nate Reindl  <<  The elusive sysadmin-in-training.  OH GAWD, TEH HRROR!
 '---> email:  psst... look at the 'From' header