From: silug-discuss-owner@silug.org
[mailto:silug-discuss-owner@silug.org] On Behalf Of William Underwood
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 3:57 PM
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: Re: Saint Louis area Broadband

KoReE wrote:
>On another note with this, I can say that my friend called *MANY* DSL
and
>cable providers today, and absolutely none were Linux-friendly.  In
fact,
>they weren't anything but Windows friendly.  They were even skeptical
of
>Macs.  More than one actually told her that Linux wouldn't work with
their
>system.
  Charter also does not support any form of OS other than Windows or
Mac.
However, I used Solaris as my firewall for a little over a year, and am
now
building my new Linux firewall.  Just because they won't support it,
doesn't mean it won't work. :-)  If they say it *WILL NOT* work, I'd be
hard pressed to believe them.  After all, they terminate to a device
with
an ethernet port, and Linux, from what I've heard about it, does support

TCP/IP connections over ethernet media, right?

  Just make sure that there's a Winblows box around for the tech to get
his
warm fuzzies off of, then as soon as he leaves, switch it over to the
Linux
box.

>Koree
William