Re: so you wanna be a sysadmin?

Quoting Jamon Terrell <JamonTerrell@charter.net>:

> you're sysadm for the OTHS right?  Do they pay you for this or is it a
> charitable
> contribution on your part... be careful how charitable you are... i was
> in that kind of
> situation when i was in high school...

*cough*

Not exactly sysadmin.  Close, but not quite.  I was more of a netadmin/webdev
person.

I stopped doing that sometime before the year ended.  Dwight pissed me off so
badly when I couldn't teach him how to get things out of CVS so he could push
my work for the website live.  I didn't have root on the webserver (and I
wasn't risking expulsion by rooting the box), so he was the one I had to ask.
I got to the point to where I wrote up a shell script on my box at home to
tarball and upload a snapshot from CVS and made cron execute it every 8 hours.
I made it even simpler by linking to the damned current tarball from my
homepage.  Okey... still no pushing my work live.  Right.

Any and every little bit of that project is gone now.  Byebye.  See yah later!
I did end up investing a good... eh... week on that damn thing, though.  Wrote
the it almost entirely in shell, too.  Shows you how much of an obscure coder I
can be :P

BTW, that was something out of the kindness of my heart.  *laughs*  IMHO, I got
reamed.  Remind me never to do something like that without an agreement of some
kind other than verbal.  And, I'm not necessairly pushing for a legal
agreement, either.  I mean, something that has a merit that two parties agreed
on something that was supposed to be done; something 'tangible', if you will.

Pfft.  What a joke...

--
Nate Reindl  <<  The elusive sysadmin-in-training.  OH GAWD, TEH HRROR!
 '---> email:  go bug reindlnr at apci dot net, will yah?