hmmmm....

Now, I was sitting here thinking again, I have been doing that alot lately
and the pain seems to be only temporary from doing that.  ;)  But anyways,
I was thinking that with the recent attempted fleecing of the schools up
in Washington by M$ and with the "audits" run by the BSA, now might be a
good time to start talking to the local schools about free software and
the benefits that you can get from it.  Schools where they are paying a
pretty penny to be able to use products such as Word or Excel could easily
be replaced with StarOffice or OpenOffice with some ease.  With the recent
advances in the stability of the windowing systems within linux and the
unixes, it would be rather simple to setup something that they would be
able use in a quick amount of time.  Also, the LTSP project looks to be
something that they might want to do.  The only problem would be those
schools that use specific programs that require a windows enviroment to
run, such as the Mavis learning series or the Rabbit typing series for
example.  Now, here is the call to arms.  Who amoungst us would be willing
to help out in such an endevor?  I would be more than willing to put my
time into the ring to make such a thing happen.  In doing this we could
also bring the teachers and the students further into the world of
technology by teaching them how to admin these boxes.  This would be an
added benefit and quite possibly a leg up for students who will be moving
on into CS or another computer related field.  Or it could just breed the
next generation of sysadmins.  In any event, proprientary and costly
software in schools could be replaced with a GNU/Free solution fairly easy
in my mind.  The only part that will take some time will be the retraining
of the teachers and students to work with the system.  But, with students
like Nate at the schools it should be fairly easy to populate the campus
with those who are imbued with the Clue(tm).  Sorry to make this so long,
but I am looking for a project to do and I was wondering if anyone else
would be interseted in this?  Bleh, back to the nap.

Tighe

--
Tighe		w00t		blumnky
	"I am anger incarnate."